Below, are actual live jobs, that you can apply for directly. Please read carefully and follow submission requirements.
Below, are live job leads that you can apply for directly.
If you are interested in an internships, please know that as a Full Sail Grad we can reinstate you under “open enrollment” so that you can qualify for internships credits.
Click here for Internships.
Director of User Experience
Boston Globe Media (BGM) is seeking a Director of UX and Design to own all strategic and operational elements of the visual experience associated with several of its primary digital properties (Boston.com, RadioBDC.com, our Classified sites, and others). The Director will construct and manage a collaborative studio environment that encourages idea exploration through rapid prototyping and experimentation.
This role will be responsible for UX throughout the entire development life cycle, providing creative leadership, from art direction to information architecture to UX development best practices. He/she will manage a team of visual designers and UX specialists, operating from a data-driven usability framework to design highly functional web products and create style guides across diverse BGM digital brand. The Director will serve as BGM’s in-house evangelist and champion for the value of UX and the UX process, working to create a bridge that connects user experience to both business and technology disciplines. He/she will lead a group that drives all vision, budgets, and timelines on the visual side of a growing digital operation.
- Serve as a leading voice of the BGM consumer, and act as a user experience advocate in considering the pipeline of decisions that will impact the consumer journey.
- Collaborate with the product development team and the technology department in developing and executing new site features and applications.
- Work closely with a highly aggressive, entrepreneurial team to build presentations, storyboards, proof-of-concepts, demos and prototypes for our digital products and customers.
- Leverage analytics as a primary driver of UX decisions, relying on data to form hypotheses surrounding usability and working iteratively to shape and reshape the experience as a product of these findings.
- Push UX team to dive deep into engagement metrics and usability insights from optimization testing to form substantive conclusions about our user base.
- Rapidly iterate to support agile development practices with highly flexible visual guidelines.
- Manage a dynamic group of designers in completing UX documentation for all projects, including ecosystem diagrams, user flows, site or application maps, fully annotated wireframes, and feature/functionality specifications.
- Mobilize UX team members to serve as liaisons between business, creative, and technical teams, and work with development teams to help design workflows and user interfaces that effectively support user needs.
- Oversee designers in ensuring that conceptual designs and wireframes for each of their projects meet high standards and business goals.
- Prioritize short and long-term asks from various business units, consistently reevaluating UX team’s resource deployment to remain consistent with internal BGM product roadmap.
- Play lead role in team’s push to develop multiple concepts for critical features, and validate them early in the design cycle through customer engagement and testing.
- Work with engineering to understand the capabilities and constraints of available technologies, scope new functionality, and to address UX-related bugs.
- Stay abreast of all major web-wide trends and new practices in design to expand BGM’s strategic approach.
- Construct a dynamic working environment in which both independent ideation and collaborative design are valued.
Qualifications and Skills:
- 5+ years of experience managing a highly successful UX team and shaping the visual identity of a dynamic web property.
- 7+ years of experience in web design, with a strong emphasis on user experience and usability.
- BA or BS with a design-related focus (Graphic Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, etc).
- Master’s Degree in a related field strongly preferred.
- Leadership in a startup or entrepreneurial venture highly valued; must be a true self-starter with a propensity for execution.
- Confident, with an excellent eye for design. Candidates should know great web UI when they see it and be able to explain why it’s great.
- A highly organized individual, with close attention to detail.
- Expertise in developing information architecture, interaction models, customer flows, schematics and visual design for products and services.
- Strong experience with interaction, motion and visual design of mobile and web interfaces.
- Established track record leading interdisciplinary UX teams, including managing staff and owning external vendor relationships.
- History of success working across organizational boundaries to launch websites, applications or other technology products.
- Extensive experience with design tools such as Visio, OmniGraffle, Photoshop, Keynote, Axure, Balsamiq, and Fireworks as they relate to documenting IA, interactions flows and high-fidelity screen level design.
- Comfortable with an iterative design process that includes accepting and managing feedback and constructive criticism.
- Familiarity with web analytics and related user research tools such as Google Analytics, Usertesting.com, etc.
How To Apply
To apply, send an email with your resume and cover letter, to email@example.com. Please reference the job title in the subject of your email.
About this company:
At Boston Globe Media (BGM), our mission is to change the news business. We are an aggressive, entrepreneurial-minded digital operation that is home to a number of highly-trafficked platforms like BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com, BetaBoston.com and BDCWire.com.
And we are growing — fast. With a foundation in leading-edge technology and data-driven product development, we’re building a team that is obsessed with innovation and change. Our goal is to launch more digital-first products that scale nationally and internationally. Joining this team is the choice to be at the start of something big, something scary, and — we think — something great.